Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Place That's Always Safe and Warm

A few days ago, the son of two very dear friends returned home from a tour of duty as an Army nurse stationed in Afganistan. His arrival home, complete with "Welcome Home Captain Davis" signs and tearful hugs from his wife and family was something I have seen on the news many times but never experienced through close friends. When I saw the photo of the soldier hugging his young wife at the airport, a song immediately began playing in my head, Bob Dylan's "Shelter from the Storm."

It wasn't long before I started putting this homecoming together with Dylan's song. But the song is four and a half minutes long and a simple idea became a bigger production.  And as so often happens in life, things that seem impossible suddenly and inexplicably fall into place; each image plucked out of the internet universe by its destined verse.  When it was done I thought that maybe it was a little overdone and indulgent.  Then I thought about where Captain Davis was and what he was doing for the better part of two years and I thought, maybe not.


No comments:

Post a Comment